To keep in theme with the community contributed content of my first album release, we've just created a
The top voted design will be used for the album artwork / CD Jewel case. You will also get 5 Copies of the physical album, a lifetime Pro Membership, $100 cash AND your name/link credits on the actual CDs which will be sent all over the world. More prizes will be added over the next two weeks (as we round them up!).
Piss take / joke submissions are also encouraged. Winner of the stupidest design gets a blue LED octopus flashlight (with sound effects!).
I'm pretty open to any sort of ideas with this one! However here are a few points
- Deadline is 16th June 12pm GMT
- The competition is for the design on the FRONT of the jewel case, and for the actual CD.
- The inside/back will mainly be text over a very simple background that runs in theme with your design (we can sort this out when you win)
- The album is called "Certified Organic Sound Machine" and this should be included on the front and on the CD
- A small "copy me for others" needs to be somewhere on the CD
- "Tom Cosm" needs to be on the front, and on the CD
- The style of the album is an interesting mix of 8bit "video game" sounding music combined with organic glitch shit
- My logo needs to be included somewhere on both Front and CD - you can be as creative as you like with it
- Make sure you take note of the bleed and design it in CMYK
- All designs will be displayed on the website with credits and massive thanks!
Thanks, have fun and feel free to ask any questions :)
There is one slot left on the Remix CD of my first album (due 15th July) so I am going to treat it as a wild card and hold a remix competition. Anyone is welcome to enter, and the winner will get their tune featured on the album along side myself, Grouch, Antix/Fiord, Pitch Black, Mr. Bill, Circuit Bent, Kiwa, Loopus in Fabula, Isaac Chambers and Mr. Squatch!
The tune to remix is called Cheers Bro and is an older tune I created a while a go to say thankyou to those who contributed money towards my new laptop. Here it is.
Just a few points/rules
- Any genre is welcome!
- The absolute deadline for submissions is 16th June 1200 GMT
- Winner will also receive a lifetime pro membership and 5 physical copies of the album
- The tune has to be under 7 minutes total
- Please don't use any samples that you don't own the rights to use (I don't wanna get sued!)
- Please name your track Tom Cosm - Cheers Bro (Yourname Remix).mp3
- All entries will be featured on the main page of www.cosm.co.nz
- The winning entry will be decided by myself and the team at Delicious Music
- Personal feedback will be given to all entries!
If you have any questions - please head over to the forums and I'll do my best to answer.
On the 15th of July 2011 I will release my first album - with a twist!
The album (which name will be chosen by you) will be a 2 CD release, with the first CD being new original tunes from myself, and the second CD full of quality remixes of old tunes by some of my favourite artists.
As usual, this is going to be released online for free in a high quality format - however there are going to be physical CD packs created and shipped out to anyone who wants hard copy. This is how it will work:
On the 15th of July an online contribution system will spark up on my website. People who wish to get a physical copy of the album can choose one of two options.
- Pay what you want - people who have the cash and motivation to actually contribute money towards the album can chip in any amount that they want. This money goes into a "pool" that is displayed on a graph in real time on my website. People/Companies who contribute get their name in the hall of fame next to the pool, as well as an opportunity to leave a short message/note. The more you contribute, the higher you get displayed in the list. The pool constantly gets more and more funds added to it, but what is the purpose of this "pool"? Read on ...
- Don't pay anything - people who don't have the cash (or just don't want to pay) put their name down in a cue that gets displayed on the other side of the pool. If the pool has enough funds to cover the cost of producing the album and postage, a free album is sent to the top person in the cue. If the pool doesn't have enough, the people in cue remain waiting until some nice person decides to contribute more.
Basically the people who pay for the album, are actually paying for other people to get the album as well. There is no profit to me or any of the other artists - all money goes straight back into people getting the album for free.
We are looking at getting a couple of great organisations to chip in the first thousand, so that the first few hundred of the CDs are completely free!
On the 15th of July, there will be an online web-a-thon live streaming event that anyone can join from anywhere in the world. We will showcase each tune and tell a little story about it, hold competitions, have giveaways, tutorials, interviews with the remix artists - all kinds of fun stuff! This will go on for a few hours, and then be followed by a live stream of the event myself and Kiwa are performing at in Helsinki.
While I'm still sorting out a few names of some of my original tracks, here is a list of the tracks that will be on the remix album
- Up At The Downs (Grouch Remix)
- The Opaque (Pitch Black Remix)
- Batman Smells (Antix/Fiord Remix)
- Swagger (Mr. Bill Remix)
- Elmo's Reality (Circuit Bent Remix)
- The Sluzziest of Fuzz (Kiwa Remix)
- Heaps Good Strong Board (Loopus in Fabula Remix)
- All The Way (Isaac Chambers Remix)
- Catchya (Mr Squatch Remix)
There will also be my own personal remix of an Opiuo track and a Spoonbill track on CD 1 - A solid lineup indeed!
For the album artwork, I am going to run a competition over the next few weeks. Artists are invited to submit a design for the artwork and then the community will vote on their favourite! The top design will get a hand full of prizes from a pool that is growing every day, however ALL submissions will be displayed and be available for the person receiving the CD (You get to pick which design you get printed on your CD!). This will be launched in a few days.
I'm very excited about this whole thing, and have been working hard to get some fresh and unique beats ready for my 1st ever album! It's also been great fun figuring out a way I can actually "sell" physical copies while still keeping the free buzz going strong.
And of course, if you have any comments or suggestions about any of this, please leave a comment below - I read everything.
Myself and a bunch of other artists have all chipped in a tune for a Japan Earthquake/Tsunami fundraiser compilation. Artists include myself, Grouch, Ticon, Loopus in Fabula + many more! Click here to find out more and listen.
So most of you have probably heard about the two big (and five thousand or so smaller) earthquakes that shook my hometown Christchurch in New Zealand. This has cause a lot of problems to this beautiful wee town, one of which was my house/studio being damaged to the point where I was no longer allowed to live there.
After the second big shock, most of the city was closed down as there was widespread damage and many buildings falling down. A bunch of us took off up north as soon as we could to get away from it all, to both stay safe and to help by not using up valuable resources in the city during this time (power, water, food etc). We had a couple of weeks of moving around together as an entity staying with fantastic people all over the country - very liberating.
Upon return I had to go through the process of moving everything which wasn't the most enjoyable task, however now I am in a new place nice and safe and have just got myself set up again!
I want to personally thank the (hundreds!) of messages of support and concern I had from all over the world, it made me feel warm and fuzzy during a difficult time. I also want to thank those who were waiting on DVDs and Pro Memberships for their patience as everything was delayed a few weeks. You're all bloody champions.
But enough of that - here's what's been going on!
I've made a DJ Mix! And shit - it is cheeeeesey mother f*ken electro. I like a bit of cheese in moderation, and I am just really feeling full power electro at the moment. Makes me happy. Here it is, feel free to pass on the link, download it, burn it... do whatever you like. The first track is a preview of a new one from me "Son of a Bit" that will be out soon.
If your into the more glitch side of things, here's an EP from myself, Circuit Bent, Mr. Bill and Sun in Aquarius. It's very busy music, yum
Are you interested in Producing or Live Performance? Most people who are, don't do anything about it. And that hurts.
You've got the ideas, you just need the theory. Pull your finger out and let me teach you.
No bullshit, no condescending tone... just quick, straight to the point tools for you to get making blips and bleeps as soon as possible.
The Pro Member archive has many gigabytes of HD Videos and Ableton Live packs. Like this one