Hello, I'm Paul the Panda, and my challenge this week falls under the Practical category.
My challenge to you is to create a lush super pad, using nothing but Ableton instruments and effects, that will constantly evolve for at least 30 seconds.
You can use no Automation or Modulation, as soon as you play a note or a chord, the synthesizers and effects have to work themselves to keep the pad moving.
It can be a little fluffy beautiful pad, or a dark evil drone from hell, just make sure it keeps changing and moving!
A few tips:
- Envelopes and LFOs are going to be one of your best friends with this challenge.
- Remember in most synthesizers, you can use an Envelope to gradually change the way an LFO works.
- You are welcome to use Send/Return tracks (Just no automation on the SEND value!)
- Adding things to Return tracks like long delays with 100% dry/wet will delay what they are fed for that amount.
- You can rack up as many items as you want, putting something like an Autopan (with phase set to 0%) can slowly bring volume in and out.
- MIDI effects could be really helpful if done correctly
- Samplers can be used, but try to use them creatively rather than throw in a long sample that moves around itself!
- Feel free to add other elements into the project to compliment what you are doing, but remember, it's all about the pad.
Have fun and good luck!
p.s. Here's a video Tom made of himself completing this challenge.
Pro Membership gives you secure, instant access to the archive of HD videos and full Ableton Live Project files, including
- The Bullshit Free Dubstep and Glitchhop Power Course
- Introduction to Digital Audio Production
- Sound Design Series
- Megaset - the Ultimate Ableton Live Set (ready for jamming)
- Full Complete Tracks in Ableton Live Project Format