Hey, I'm Piers the Pig, and my challenge falls under the Discovery topic!
Usually this topic will provide you with reading material about certain aspects of music/production, then quiz you at the end - but for this week we are going to keep it fun and interactive to kick things off!
The challenge is fairly simple - show me (and the rest of the community) something YOU have learnt since you began your musical journey.
It can be on anything at all! Synthesis, Progression, Musical History, A cool sound you found by hitting a slinky with a can opener... just as long as it's something that you consider other people might find interesting or helpful.
If you're quite new at producing, don't worry about whether people would already know it or not, it's the point that you are actively trying to help others with new ideas that earns the little trophy of me!
And if you really don't think you can come up with something, you've got until Tuesday to come up with something. Open up a synth and twiddle things, even if you don't know what they are ... find a cool result and let us all know.
If you really really really don't manage to come up with something this time, make a list of 10 things on any topic that could help people. Perhaps a list of 10 places to find free samples, or a top 10 of external instruments you use (and why). I'll accept anything, as long as you try!
If you are REALLY REALLY REALLY stuck, send me a tune and a description of what it's about :)
Here's a few ideas
- A simple yet effective technique of speeding up some aspect of workflow.
- A way to fatten up a drum sample.
- Some sort of instrument/effect/MIDI effect rack that makes life easier.
- The way you save your projects and folders so that things are neat.
- How to create music to a video.
- Interesting ways you can route channels to each other.
- A list of 10 online blogs/forums where you can always learn new tricks (with descriptions).
- 10 shortcuts that people may not know about but really should.
- A list of 10 producers that you really think are great (and why!).
- A short article on how to not let music production ruin your relationship with your partner.
Again I have to stress, don't YOU stress if you find yourself stuck with this one - this exersize is to give you the feeling of giving and sharing, something that Tom believes is contagious and has massive rewards.
Any questions? Head over to the Challenge Forum and ask away.
If you are going to write something down, please do this in a .TXT file and zip it up with anything else you need to send. Bonus points for making a video.
P.s. Tom is going to put his here tomorrow as he's had a very busy week :)