Holla!, I'm Bramwell the Blue Whale, and my challenge falls under the Practical topic. These challenges are to not only help you experiment with new ideas, but also help you build your own personal catalogue of presets and sounds.
My challenge goes like this... Create your own unique drum rack, with sounds you have created only using synthesis. In one MIDI track, create a Drum Rack. In 16 of the pads, add Operators (or any other form of synthesizers, NOT SAMPLERS!) and try and tweak them to sound how you want.
Here are some tips to help you out
- If you're not sure where to start, name your pads first (Kick 1, Snare 1) etc... then try to shape them into that sound.
- You're not restricted at all to creating natural sounding things, you can go totally IDM, or super 8bit - It's up to you.
- Pitch Envelopes and White Noise are going to be very helpful with this one.
- Feel free to use any Synthesizers, Audio Effects and MIDI effects
- Tom found the easiest way was to create a MIDI loop with a beat, then shape things as he went along. Sounds shit at the start, but it's a fast way to sculpt.
- Any genre or BPM is good
- If you find 16 is a bit too much, do as many as you can, just try not to stop until you've learnt something!
Have fun! And remember to head over to the Forums if you have any questions.
P.s. Here's a video that Tom made of his submission.