Hey Producers! I'm Derp the Dinosaur and my challenge to you this week falls under the Practical category!
Often when you load up your program to start righting, jumping in and creating blips and bleeps is the most instantly rewarding thing to do, but this week I want you to spend 10 minutes or so creating a blank production template, so when you get future sparks of inspiration, you've got framework right in front of you to help speed up the creative process.
This can be completely different depending on your preferred genre, and can be as basic as setting up tracks for the most basic of instruments, or getting right down to adding in blank clips ready to populate with information.
And of course, if you felt like sharing it, then everyone can have access to a bunch of different templates!
Here's some tips
- If you're not too hot on creating progression throughout a tune, take a track you really like, warp it in a new audio track so it's in time, then put Location Points on the timeline of when things happen, then all you need to do is remove the original and BAM a whole tune template ready for the filling.
- Things like kick drums and snare drums are easy to put down, ie: a generic 4/4 kick midi clip on a blank track with an empty sampler can save time.
- You could load all your favorite types of one sample (kick, snare, hat etc) into one giant drum rack read to go, so when you start producing you can just whiz through them with the chain selector
- Try to color things how you like, and see if you can remember what is what. It really really helps when your tune starts getting complicated and you need to find something fast.
- You can save your template as default in the preferences section
p.s. Here's a video of Tom's submission, plus about 4 hours of just production
Pro Membership gives you secure, instant access to the archive of HD videos and full Ableton Live Project files, including
- The Bullshit Free Dubstep and Glitchhop Power Course
- Introduction to Digital Audio Production
- Sound Design Series
- Megaset - the Ultimate Ableton Live Set (ready for jamming)
- Full Complete Tracks in Ableton Live Project Format