Hey! My name is Tom Cosm and I am a live electronic performer and teacher from New Zealand. This website is all about producing tunes and is full of tutorial videos, Ableton Live packs and free music.
The biggest and most important tutorial series I have created is what you are about to check out. It's a 10 hour long collection of videos that explain how to write a tune using Ableton Live from absolute scratch (you also get the Ableton Live file with the series, so you can open it up and see exactly how it was made).
The set has only Ableton Live native instruments and effects (no VSTs) so anyone with a copy of Ableton can follow this easily. All samples are also included in the live pack.
Topics covered in the video include
- Creating your own sounds from scratch using Synthesizers
- Making drum loops using the piano roll and samples
- Using EQing, Sidechain Compression and other effects to fatten up your sound
- Making your tune flow and progress steadily
- + many more of my own production hints and tips explained in massive depth
When I create my tutorial videos, I like to talk as if you were right next to me. I speak all my thought processes and explain what I am doing clearly. It's all very friendly, unlike some tutorials that give you a feeling like your being talked down to.
I also do my teaching as a secondary job, with my primary job being an actual producer and performer. I am not some geek who has decided to try and make some cash by talking technical jargon about software, I actually move around the globe doing this for a living.
Here is part 1 of this series, so you can get an idea of how I have decided to approach making these videos. This is the ENTIRE part 1, so it is an hour long. If you want to have a quick look at some of my shorter videos, head over to the free video section of this site. (you can also find the second hour, part 2, in the video section for free).
Here is the finished product
I've put a lot of energy into making this series the quickest and easiest ways to get prodcuers putting those ideas that they have into practice.
If you want to step up and go pro, here are your options.
- Become a Pro Member - Pro Membership gives you access to not just this video series, but the entire archives on this site. It costs $10usd per month, and you can cancell at any time
- Purchase the physical DVDs - This series takes up two data DVDs, I can post these out to you asap.
Great, I think that sums it mostly up! If you are serious about getting into audio production, and want jump in the deep end straight away and swim your own way out, I think I can help.
Pro Membership gives you secure, instant access to the archive of HD videos and full Ableton Live Project files, including
- The Bullshit Free Dubstep and Glitchhop Power Course
- Introduction to Digital Audio Production
- Sound Design Series
- Megaset - the Ultimate Ableton Live Set (ready for jamming)
- Full Complete Tracks in Ableton Live Project Format